Change of Use/Occupancy Inspections
A costly problem: Far too often we see business owners purchase or lease properties only to find out after the transaction that the property they have acquired is incompatible with their planned business use. This incompatibility is frequently due to insurmountable conflicts with existing zoning, building, or fire codes. Such gaps in the process of due diligence cost business owners, property owners, and permitting authorities countless hours of wasted time and thousands of dollars in forfeited deposits and legal fees. In an effort to help business owners avoid such costly oversights, the City of Lakeland, as well as other municipalities and counties, has instituted a policy requiring a Change of Use/Change of Occupancy Inspection as an important safeguard to avoid the difficulties described above.
A simple solution: A Change of Use/Change of Occupancy Inspection guides the business owner in the important decision of choosing a location and projecting the costs of opening at or relocating to that location. Through the Change of Use/Change of Occupancy Inspection, business owners can eliminate from their consideration properties that would be non-compliant with zoning, building or fire codes or properties that would require prohibitively expensive modifications to bring them into compliance. Lucent Inspections, LLC is uniquely qualified to conduct such Change of Use/Change of Occupancy Inspections. Our staff includes in-house consulting architects and engineers who are knowledgeable in the areas of site planning, code review, building design, commercial development, and construction permitting.
In undertaking this due diligence, we will consult all applicable codes, including:
- Florida Building Code, Mechanical Code, 2017 Edition
- Florida Building Code, Plumbing Code, 2017 Edition
- Florida Building Code, Residential Code, 2017 Edition
- Florida Building Code, Energy Conservation Code, 2017 Edition
- Florida Building Code, Test Protocols Code, 2017 Edition
- Florida Building Code, Building Code, 2017 Edition
- Florida Building Code, Accessibility Code, 2017 Edition
- Florida Building Code, Existing Building Code, 2017 Edition
- Florida Building Code, Fuel Gas Code, 2017 Edition
- 2017 Florida Fire Prevention Code, 6th Edition
- 2015 National Fire Prevention Association Code NFPA 1, with Florida-specific amendments
- 2015 National Fire Prevention Association Code NFPA 101, with Florida-specific amendments
- 2014 National Electric Code
To discuss your need for such a Change of Use/Change of Occupancy Inspection, please contact Lucent Inspections – either through the CONTACT US page here on our website or by phone at 863.333.2698.